Internal Software Quality & Messy Code

Internal Software Quality and Technical Debt are two concepts that are tightly linked: if we can measure the technical quality in our messy code, we can then start to measure the technical debt. Join the conversation on the relationship between Technical Debt and quality in software development. If you are interested in blogging for us, let us know!

Maintaining Technical Debt and Team Morale in a Large System

By Frances Lash | January 28, 2016

InfoQ
In this post from InfoQ, Thomas Bradford explains his experience on working with a monolith java-based system that had improper test coverage and huge technical debt. When asked what the biggest issue would be when maintaining a large java system, Bradford responded that the prevalence of legacy code riddled with quality issues. This leads to a ... read more

When You Should Start Paying Off Your Technical Debt

By Frances Lash | January 25, 2016

Much of what comes with being an entrepreneurial leader is knowing when to accept certain tradeoffs. When you have a whole organization under your control it is impossible to constantly uphold a perfect balance; the result is often times compromises and temporary fixes. These compromises and short-term solutions are what is called technical debt. While ... read more

The Risks of Measuring Technical Debt

By Frances Lash | January 21, 2016

It has become a recent practice in organizations to measure technical debt in their software – but how often do you think about why you are measuring technical debt? What will you and your team do once you have information on how much technical debt you have in your software? What risks have you uncovered in the ... read more

Technical Debt & Risk: One and the Same

By Frances Lash | January 6, 2016

Technical debt is a very important concept to developers that is often lost on the management end. Developers use the concept to describe the consequences of a pressure to meet deadlines; to release features on time developers will write quick and dirty code, compromise on standards, and leave code quality out to dry. Technical debt ... read more

Technical Debt & Software Quality Tools

By Frances Lash | January 4, 2016

CAST_Technical_Debt_Logo
It’s estimated that the federal government spends about $80 billion a year on IT; over 70% of this goes to maintaining legacy systems with the remaining 30% going to new investment in next-generation systems. This keeps old systems running but it creates a problem by exposing them to risk as the costs of maintenance grows ... read more

Technical Debt and Cybersecurity: A Bad Relationship

By Frances Lash | December 29, 2015

Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 7.03.29 PM
The costs associated with maintaining technical content, not advancing its capabilities, is often referred to as technical debt. As we have mentioned before, technical debt can be a huge hindrance to innovation – but it also presents an obstacle for cybersecurity readiness. Reducing technical debt is a critical component of having a a successful cybersecurity ... read more

The Brethren of Technical Debt: Cloud Functionality Debt

By Frances Lash | December 8, 2015

In this post, the author cites overhearing cloud vendors and implementors bemoaning how cloud application software customers fail to activate new functionality found in quarterly releases of multi-tenet cloud application solutions. This is the type of new functionality which would help efficiency processes and alleviate possible bottlenecks. But, customers aren’t turning the new functionality on. Why ... read more

How Far is the Healthcare Industry Lagging with its Technology?

By Frances Lash | November 2, 2015

Healthcare companies, whether they be hospitals or insurers, are just as susceptible to the effects of technical debt as any other company that has technology as the core aspect of its business. Healthcare institutions tend to implement systems that are simply “good enough” and as time passes they become less and less efficient and more ... read more

The Case Against Letting Go of Technical Debt

By Frances Lash | October 28, 2015

dzone_logo
When starting a new project, it’s assumed that you begin with optimal code. Then when you add a feature, it take E amount of effort. But what if the code you’re writing on for the new feature is less than optimal? The effort it will take is E + T (T = technical debt). This ... read more

Technical Debt Build-Up Fueled By Unfettered DevOps Practices

By Frances Lash | July 30, 2015

What would you do if you found out that a major American automobile manufacturer knowingly picked from 27 versions of outdated, under-performing, and poorly built mufflers to place in a brand new model of a car? You would most likely respond in outrage if the product you are purchasing is being compromised by one component that ... read more